Announcement

Collapse

Have you called Obadiah's? Please read before posting!

Hello Cookstove Community members! If you have a question for us and have already contacted Obadiah's via telephone, please put a note in your post. We receive quite a few inquiries every day, and this will help us streamline our responses so we can assist everyone in the most timely fashion.

Thanks!
See more
See less

Stove shifting??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove shifting??

Ok, so we have had our kitchen queen 480 in out new home since last Sept. Burnt it all winter as our only heat source and was amazed how it heated and the ease of operation for a newbie like us. At the end of the season it looked as if the stove had slid maybe 3/4" when I looked at the legs. My wife of course said I was crazy. I left for the summer and went to clean this summer and moved it back where I though it needed to be. We marked it with a pencil. We have had maybe 10 fires so far this year to take chill off. It has moved 1/8" to maybe 1/4" already. I marked the rear left leg behind fire box an that is where I noticed it last year. Is this normal? Something to be concerned about? The hearth is a 1 1/2" piece of marble material. Thanks.

Ahhh another case of Dancing Stove Syndrom........verrry interrresting..........

Pictures please?

Here is my theory as to why this happens.
    1. The stove is on legs.
    2. One leg is adjustable.
    3. This is a welded steel plate stove and weighs about 900 lbs.
    4. The stove expands and contracts as a single unit. Although it heats up from one end (firebox) to the other end (oven).
    5. As the stove expands and contracts, two things are happening.
    a. The legs all do not exert equal force against the surface below as one leg is adjustable and is adjusted by twisting a threaded bolt through a nut welded to the bottom of one leg which has a pad on it.
    b. When the stove is heating and cooling it is expanding and contracting.
    c. The legs on the end with the most traction will overcome the legs with lessor traction, which can shift with the irregularities of the surface the stove sits on.
    d. If the floor the stove is sitting on is not completely level and your on a surface such as marble, which is polished, the stove can slide downhill.

What gets really strange is when all these factors are at play and the stove moves contrary to the laws of physics......then I'd say better call in these guys.

Comment

Working...
    X